Monday, March 25, 2013

TMC Track Trio Finishes 1-2-3 in Agoura Meet

tmc032413In a last minute addition to the Mustangs’ 2013 track schedule, one alumnus and two current members of TMC’s distance squad competed in the Pacific Half Marathon held in the hills of Agoura.


The trio placed first, second, and third out of a field of 100 runners, respectively.


Placing first overall with a time of 1 hour and 13.1 minutes was Mustang Track alumnus, Jeff Jackson (Santa Clarita, CA). Jackson, who was the 2010 NAIA national champion in the men’s marathon event, has remained active in the running world since his collegiate days by participating in an array of races such as the Surf City Half Marathon and the Santa Clarita Marathon.


In second place at 1:14.09 was Tyler Tockstein (Santa Clarita, CA). Tockstein’s time qualified him for a trip to the 2013 NAIA national championships on a provisional mark.


“I came out today knowing I was prepared, and that the months of training had set me up for a big race,” said Tockstein. “The course had some crazy hills, and I had a great time out there competing.”


Tockstein now joins a list of three other Mustang Track athletes who have qualified to compete in the NAIA national championships in the marathon event: John Gilbertson (Saugus, CA), John Hurd (Fairview, PA), and Camden McAlister (Saugus, CA).


Rearing up third place was McAlister at 1:16:29. Unfortunately, a statistician error prevented McAlister’s time from being posted on the leaderboard, but all in attendance witnessed his phenomenal performance.


“I was, for the most part, happy about the way things went,” assessed McAlister. “I’m very happy with third place, but my time wasn’t really what I wanted it to be, or what it should have been. These things happen, and it’s all part of the sport. You live and you learn! I gave my all today, and raised my efforts to the Lord. I’m looking forward to the rest of the season, and what God has in store for me.”


Last spring, McAlister competed in the 2012 NAIA national championships where he ran his first Marathon. Putting together a tremendous race, McAlister crossed the line in 2 hours, 52 minutes, and 48 seconds.


The Mustangs now set their sights on the 2013 Stanford Invitational where John Gilbertson, Matthew Crichton (Mission Viejo, CA), David Eller (Los Angeles, CA), and Jason Logan (Spartanburg, SC) have been accepted to compete against the nation’s premier collegiate and professional athletes on March 29 & 30.


 



TMC Track Trio Finishes 1-2-3 in Agoura Meet