Thursday, April 18, 2013

SCVTV Outstanding Student of the Week: Arshjot Khokhar (Video)

This week’s SCVTV Outstanding Student of the Week is Arshjot Khokhar of Valencia High School.


Arshjot, or Arsh as he’s known around campus, has a 4.77 GPA and scored 2,190 on the SAT.


This Viking senior is in line to become Valencia High School’s 2013 class valedictorian and plans to attend USC in the fall.


It’s there where he intends to study neuroscience, a field that piqued his interest when his friend’s father was diagnosed with rare, debilitating genetic disease.


“I kind of want to change the outcome for people who suffer from that same disease,” he said.


At heart, Arsh is a competitor.  As a member of the debate team at Valencia High School, he enjoys the rush each match brings.


“As much as that sounds funny, you do get an adrenaline rush, having 20 minutes to figure out a seven-minute speech. It’s something that not everybody can do. Over the past four years I’ve been able to do that, and it’s been great.”


His biggest accomplishment outside of the classroom comes on the field.


His field hockey team, the U.S. National team, took third place in the California Cup Final, an international tournament held each spring in Los Angeles.


“Being able to get third in that competition is something that I always dreamed about as a kid. Playing Argentina, one of the greatest teams, and even nations in almost any sport, was an amazing accomplishment for me.”


Back at home is where he finds his inspiration for success.


“My grandparents are the ones who raised me when my parents had jobs and I was little.  It wasn’t mom and dad who were taking care of me, it was grandpa and grandma. They mean everything to me.  They’re why I started playing field hockey, why I joined the debate team and why I pursue my goals so I can make them proud and put a smile on their faces – because they always put a smile on mine.”


Balancing academics, athletics and extracurricular activities like the debate team comes easy for Arsh.


“There’s always time for everything if you love doing it. Academics is something that I love. As quirky as it sounds, the pursuit of knowledge is something that I like to do, and it drives me. It doesn’t take time from me, field hockey doesn’t take time from me, debate doesn’t take time from me, it’s just all there and it all blends in.”


Congratulations to Arshjot Khokhar of Valencia High School – this week’s SCVTV Outstanding Student of the Week.



SCVTV Outstanding Student of the Week: Arshjot Khokhar (Video)