Saturday, November 23, 2013

Black Friday Confession | Commentary by Jennifer Fischer

JenniferFischerI wrote this silly and fun poem last year for my blog and thought it was worth a re-share this year as a simple nudge and reminder to save a bit of cash this Holiday season for “Giving Tuesday,” too.


 


Yes, I have a Black Friday confession,


and my confession is not that I have a Black Friday obsession.


Nor do I wait for Small Business Saturday to splurge,


or Cyber Monday to grab all the amazing Internet deals that emerge.


 


My Black Friday confession is that on Friday I stay home.


In fact I cannot remember the last time on that Friday I did roam


out to the stores to find some amazing deals.


I found that family time at home had much more appeal.


 


This year I plan to keep this tradition that is now so special to me –


staying at home with my precious family.


I do plan, however, to add a new spin,


and to do so with a big grin, grin, grin.


 


You see, after Black Friday, Small Business Saturday and Cyber Monday are through


a new dawn rises this year for me and for you


to give in a new way and celebrate the spirit of the season


through Giving Tuesday, and this is my reason:


 


jfisch112313When Wild Thing got his birthday money this year


his instinct was to give and to share


not to buy a new toy or candy or train gear.


He wanted to give his money to his favorite coffee cashier.


 


I believe he has learned, already at three,


that giving feels better than receiving, you see.


He enjoys her big grin and thank-you sincere


when he leaves a tip jar at our coffee shop so dear.


 


So, I join Wild Thing, and hopefully all of you


in making sure that we support Giving Tuesday, too.


Feel free to battle the crowds so fierce on Friday for deals,


support local businesses on Saturday or click click click on Monday for steals.


 


Please also consider finding a charity or two


something that has special meaning just for you


and give what you can, perhaps in honor of others


I truly believe in the giving power of us as mothers.


 


I also want to add a gentle reminder this year as Black Friday begins at many stores on Thanksgiving this year, to be kind to the cashiers, clerks and other staff at the retail stores you visit if you choose to shop.


Remember that many of these individuals might have not been able to enjoy Thanksgiving Dinner with their family because they were prepping for the big sale, or might have had to cut their family time short to head to work.


Even if you encounter a cranky, tired, stressed or not-so-chipper employee, show some compassion, be kind, have patience. They are working while you shop. A little kindness can go a long way.


What’s your turkey day tradition? Are you a shopper? Do you stay home? Do you travel? Let me know. You can share with me on Twitter @IndieJenFischer or over at The Good Long Road on Facebook. Hashtags: #ActsofKindness #BlackFriday #GivingTuesday.


 


 


Jennifer Fischer is co-founder of the SCV Film Festival, a mom of two, an independent filmmaker and owner of Think Ten Media Group, whose Generation Arts division offers programs for SCV youth. She writes about her parenting journey on her blog, The Good Long Road. Her commentary is published Saturdays on SCVNews.com.


 


 



Black Friday Confession | Commentary by Jennifer Fischer