Sunday, October 27, 2013

Halloween Already? | Commentary by Jennifer Fischer

JenniferFischerSomehow, although I felt October just began, Halloween is just around the corner, which means so is November and before you know it, Thanksgiving.


I’m starting to understand how to relate to something I heard before I had kids, but didn’t quite get, which was the idea that time seemed to move faster after you had kids – that “Wow, they’re already 18” kind of thing.


Mine are nowhere near 18, but November does mean my oldest son will officially be one year older, and lately, at nearly 4 and with his first haircut, it seems he is suddenly such a boy – such a person in his own right, and so distant and far from the baby I held in my arms not that long ago, or the toddler who struggled to express his thoughts and feelings to the world.


Now, those feelings are expressed clearly and firmly. He has clear interests and preferences. He’s beginning to recognize words and is eager to spell and understand the world around him in a whole new way.


Is it really Halloween already? Will my baby boy really be 4 in just a couple of weeks? Will Thanksgiving be right around the corner and then Christmas and, boom, another year will be gone? Yes, yes and yes.


With those thoughts, I remind myself to slow down, take stock, enjoy the moments. I’m reminding myself to savor those 3-year-old moments, even the meltdowns. I’m reminding myself to enjoy and appreciate the time I have at home with him and his little brother – even on the days when it’s challenging, and the days feel too long and I am too tired; for these moments are fleeting. Time keeps marching on. Days keep going by on the calendar, and Halloween is nearly here.


Not that long ago, on Halloween, I remember feeling ready to have my first child – ready to be done with pregnancy and meet this little person whom I already felt I knew after 39 weeks. Just one short (no – very long) week later, I would. The birth would be different than I had hoped or expected; it would be scary and challenging; but in the end, all was fine.


I found myself holding, kissing, nursing a healthy baby boy – a baby boy who now knows Halloween is coming, but also knows his birthday is coming. In fact, he will be say it is not just Halloween, it is his Halloween, because it is followed by his birthday. Let the celebrations begin.


To learn more about what I’ve been up to with my boys, pop over to The Good Long Road on Facebook. Better yet, share your favorite birthday tradition. We’ve got some preparing to do.


 


Jennifer Fischer is co-founder of the SCV Film Festival, a mom of two, an independent filmmaker and owner of Think Ten Media Group, whose Generation Arts division offers programs for SCV youth. She writes about her parenting journey on her blog, The Good Long Road. Her commentary is published Saturdays on SCVNews.com.


 



Halloween Already? | Commentary by Jennifer Fischer